Culinary Walking Tours with Backroads
Price: $5,399USD Per Person
(Price per person, based on double occupancy.)
Photo: Backroads Picnic Sample
- Learn about the secrets of classic Provençal dishes in a private cooking class with a renowned local chef
- Stroll through atmospheric markets and meet merchants peddling the fresh flavors of the Luberon
- Enjoy locally grown olives, goat cheese wrapped in oak leaves, herbes de Provence and other specialties
- Hike pristine routes through limestone hills, celebrated perched villages and picturesque vineyards
- All breakfasts, 5 lunches, 4 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
Kick off your walking and cooking tour with a hike in the Alpilles, a limestone mountain range surrounded by olive trees and orchards | Have an immersive art experience at Carrières de Lumières | Wander the spellbinding streets of Les Baux-de-Provence, one of the Most Beautiful Villages in France | Discover classic Provençal recipes during a lunch at a traditional mas (farm house) | Enjoy a glass of crisp rosé and taste local olive oil | Rose gardens, cypress trees and Relais & Châteaux luxury await.
Accommodations: Baumaniere, Les Baux-de-Provence
Premiere Hotel. An enchanting hideaway in the heart of the Alpilles Mountains with magnificent gardens. A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool, spa)
Hike a ridge trail above Les Baux through fragrant pine trees overlooking the Alpilles peaks | Admire Le Rocher des Deux Trous, a fascinating geological feature | Join chef Yvan Cadiou for an exclusive hands-on cooking class | Alongside a local art historian, gaze at the same landscape painted by van Gogh over a century ago | Discover iconic St-Rémy-de-Provence | Do as the locals do and engage in a friendly game of pétanque | Lounge by the pool at our peaceful country retreat.
Accommodations: Le Château des Alpilles, St-Rémy-de-Provence
Premiere Hotel. A refined 19th-century manor house in the same family for more than 40 years and lovingly cared for by three generations of women. (pool)
Voyage further into the Luberon Valley—the land of honey, lavender and cherries immortalized in Peter Mayle’s A Year in Provence | Hike past Provençal farms, cypress groves and vineyards | Discover regional farm-to-table secrets over a delicious dinner | Visit idyllic perched villages like ocher-hued Roussillon and Gordes | Hike past oak groves and truffle farms | Explore lovely Bonnieux, perhaps climbing the 12th-century church tower for views of the valley below | Savor unforgettable Michelin-starred cuisine | A dreamy final morning in elegant Gordes ends at medieval Sénanque Abbey, a quintessential image of Provence.